In early Feb 2019, I joined a dozen other musicians to delve into the world of adjudication. Run by Maestros with a Mission, this two day (twelve hour) professional development was directed by Kevin Cameron and Matt Klohs, assisted by Kara Williams.
The seminars covered:
- Adjudication and Philosophy
- Methodology of Assessment
- Score Preparation for Adjudication
- Technique and the Technical
- Report Writing and Feedback Techniques
- Public Speaking for Adjudicators
- Adjudication Panel with Q&A
- Mock Adjudications: Solo String, Woodwind, & Brass. Brass Ensemble. Brass Band
On day two we were joined by Mark Ford, Eric Andersen, and Andrew Snell who assisted with mock auditions and provided incredible insight during the Q&A. All very experienced adjudicators, their advice was invaluable. Thanks to the Victorian Bands League for giving me the opportunity to attend this workshop. I can now approach future adjudication with the confidence needed to positively encourage performers.